Friday, April 5, 2013

Introducing.... Storyteller Cards!

I've been talking about Storyteller Cards here and there, but it's time for some actual information.



What are Storyteller Cards?
Storyteller Cards are playing cards meant to inspire creativity. Each card features an illustration with 4 elements, a CHARACTER, doing an ACTION, with an ITEM, in a LOCATION. And in each of the corners are icons representing a RANK, SUIT, MOOD, SEASON, LETTER, and COLOR.

The deck is more of a toolkit than a game. It's a toolkit for writers looking for a new location for their story, artists looking for a character, game designers, dungeon masters, kids, parents, teachers... just about anyone.




Can you play a game with them?
You sure can! I have a few games prepared and I've recruited an whole bunch of friends to come up with games, activities and examples of uses for the cards. We're going to compile these into a Storyteller Manual filled with good stuff.


Who did that awesome art?
That would be Campbell Whyte. You may know him from his amazing illustration series 8-Bit Dreams, where he illustrated a whole bunch of classic Nintendo Games. I have quite a collection of the originals, snagging up Megaman 2, Blades of Steel and many others as soon as they went on sale. Campbell is a great friend and an amazing artist, so I'm thrilled to be able to work together on this project.





When will these be released?
These will be the very first official Button Shy release (whoa, there's a news scoop), and while I wish I could do it on my own, I'm going to need the assistance of writers, artists, game designers, dungeon masters, kids (via their) parents, teachers and you. Storyteller Cards will be launching on Kickstarter May 6th. It's the day after my twins turn terrible three, so I'm bracing for that and the terror of running a kickstarter project on my own. I've been there many times before, but this one is on my shoulders more than any other. I think the project will speak for itself though, as the missing piece to keep in your back pocket for writer's block, an ice breaker, or a quick game with creative friends.


Hope you guys enjoy these!

0 comments:

Post a Comment